Since receiving the Thrive Energy Cookbook for my birthday in February, I’ve found one recipe I keep going back to and this is it!!!
- 2 cups rinsed canned black beans
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ⅔ cup cooked whole-grain brown rice
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup shredded dairy-free cheese
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 to 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Coconut oil
- In a medium bowl, combine the beans through cheese and mix thoroughly with your hands.
- In a food processor, combine the onion through the tamari and process until just mixed.
- Add the onion mix to the bean mix and mix well, adding salt.
- Add the bread crumbs and mix with your hands until the mixture is firm to the touch and no longer sticky.
- Form the mixture into ¾ inch thick patties (I use plastic wrap and a mason jar ring).
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add a little coconut oil.
- Fry patties until lightly brown on each side.
I’ve become “lazy” and haven’t been frying my patties, but rather just heating in the microwave at work. I then use a romaine lettuce leaf instead of a bun and poof – yummy “burger”!!!
Update: I have just made this recipe (again) and I used Panko Crumbs instead of fresh bread crumbs. Also, I used a ½ cup measure to divide the recipe equally into patties and it made 12 patties.