When I was out getting groceries last week I came upon the pasta aisle. Since doing my kitchen/pantry inventory, I have come to realize that I don’t need to buy any spaghetti, fettuccine or small shells – I do, however, have no manicotti or jumbo shells!
So I bought both and both have been sitting on my counter awaiting some inspiration. I researched some stuffed manicotti recipes this weekend and decided to use a few together and create a Gona Be Vegan Original Recipe.
Serves 3 with a light side or serves 2 on its own.
- 6 manicotti shells
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Field Roast Italian sausage, chopped
- 4 oz extra firm tofu, chopped
- 2 oz Soya Mozza, shredded
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- Earth Balance butter
- 10 oz tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil a pot of water and cook manicotti for approximately 6 minutes – until just flexible.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Add shallot and garlic – sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add sausage and tofu – sauté for 3 – 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix cheese through oregano.
- Add sausage mix to cheese mix and stir to combine.
- Lightly grease a 9×9 casserole dish with butter.
- Spread ½ tomato sauce on bottom of casserole dish.
- Stuff each shell as full as possible without splitting the manicotti.
- Place stuffed manicotti in casserole dish.
- Top with remaining ½ tomato sauce.
- Cover and bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 10 – 15 minutes.
Gona Be Vegan Original Recipe review:
I’m surprisingly impressed! Normally when I put my own mind to work and create a dish without a recipe, it doesn’t turn out so well. This was pretty good!
I would suggest more cheese (maybe double the amount) and maybe more tomato sauce too – just to keep the manicotti moist, so that it doesn’t dry out and get crunchy.