Original recipe taken from the book The Vegan Bible
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup spelt
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 – 4 tbsp canola oil, divided
- ¾ cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 2 tsp ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp almonds, ground
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ cup panko
- Combine water and spelt in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, partially cover and cook 25 – 30 minutes.
- Drain and cool.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drain, cool and mash.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Saute onions for 1 minute.
- Add carrot and ginger, cover and cook 2 – 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool.
- Add potatoes and spelt to carrot mix and combine.
- Add almonds and salt & pepper and mix.
- Shape into 6 patties and coat with panko crumbs.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Cook patties until golden brown, turning once and adding oil as needed.
This was a very good burger although it could have had more roughage to hold it together. I would suggest adding some cooked brown rice, corn, edamame, etc.
I am excited to eat this burger for lunch this week – really yummy!
Pictured with Spiced Pomegranate Rice.