Original recipe taken from the book The Vegan Bible (I purchased my copy at Superstore for about $10). The original recipe serves 4, so I cut it in half and the below serves 2.
- 1 ½ tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar (I only had seasoned so I’m not sure of the taste difference)
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp toasted sesame seeds (I didn’t toast mine – too lazy!)
- ½ tsp dark sesame oil (I had toasted sesame oil – again, not sure of the taste difference)
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- ½ pkg 300 g extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp flour
- ⅛ cup plain coconut milk (recipe called for rice milk, but I didn’t have any)
- ½ tsp cornstarch
- Just less than ½ cup panko crumbs
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- For dipping sauce, whisk together tamari through red pepper flakes.
- Set aside.
- Drain & rinse the tofu and press between 2 pieces of paper towel to remove excess water.
- Cut crosswise (½ the thickness) once and then cut diagonally into triangles.
- Into 3 separate shallow dishes, place flour, milk & cornstarch (stir until smooth) and panko.
- Dip each piece of tofu in flour and coat lightly.
- Dip each piece of tofu in milk and coat lightly.
- Dip each piece of tofu in panko to coat completely.
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over high heat.
- Reduce to medium and add tofu pieces.
- Cook until golden brown on ALL sides (I even did the skinny sides so it was brown all over).
- Serve with dipping sauce.
This was quite a tasty dish although the panko coating on the tofu needed some seasoning. I would maybe add some garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
The dipping sauce was very sesame-y … not an overly favourite taste of mine. I might try it with a peanut sauce next time.
Pictured with Spiced Pomegranate Rice.