I got this 12 Days of Christmas app on my iPhone and each day (for 12 days, obviously) they offer a free download. One of the gifts was Chatelaine’s Superfoods Cookbook and I’ve been taking a bit of time to look through it!
I came across this recipe and since tomorrow is Saturday and my grocery shopping day, I decided to get what I need to make it.
The original recipe makes 4 servings, so the below has been split in half to make 2 servings.
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- ¾ cups wild rice & brown rice, mixed
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth (original recipe calls for chicken broth, which clearly doesn’t fit my vegan lifestyle)
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 large bay leaf
- ½ cup in-shell pistachios (I need to find an alternative for this because pistachios are on the blood Type A “foods to avoid” list)
- 1 green onions
- 1 pomegranates
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add ginger and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add rice and combine.
- Add broth, cinnamon and bay leaf.
- Increase heat to high, cover and boil.
- Reduce, simmer until rice is cooked (30 – 45 minutes).
- Shell pistachios.
- Thinly slice green onions diagonally.
- Seed pomegranate, strain and pat dry.
- Mix all dishes together.
- Suggested to serve with chicken or fish … but I’ll suggest some grilled tofu steaks instead!
The crispness and tartness of the pomegranate seeds really adds some great texture to this dish! And cooking the rice with the bay leaf and cinnamon – great combo! I would never have thought to use them with rice.
I didn’t use any peanuts but think they would have added a nice flavour to this dish.
The picture shows a serving size of just under ½ cup and holy heck is there ever a LOT of rice left! So I’m guessing you could probably serve 1 cup each or more as ONE serving!
This is a dish I would absolutely make again.
Pictured with Fried Tofu and Sesame Dipping Sauce.