Original recipe from book Forks Over Knives
- 6 large very ripe tomatoes, at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- Vegetable broth
- One 10 oz. package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 medium avocados, mashed
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup quick-cooking rice
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp vegan Parmesan (Soya brand)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut a slice from the top of each tomato and scoop out the pulp, leaving a ¼-inch-thich shell.
- Set aside.
- Chop the pulp and set aside.
- Saute the mushrooms and onion in some vegetable broth in a large skillet over high heat.
- Cook, stirring, until tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add spinach, avocado, tomato pulp, garlic, basil, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in the rice and remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in Parmesan.
- Place tomato shells in a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Spoon the hot mixture into tomato shells, divided evenly.
- Sprinkle with 1 tsp Parmesan on each shell.
- Bake until hot and golden (about 15 minutes).