Original recipe from eBook What to Feed That Effing Vegan
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups corn grits
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning, divided
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring water and salt to a boil.
- Slowly add corn grits, stirring often.
- Stir in 1 tsp of poultry seasoning.
- Cook on low until all water is absorbed and grits are softened (this literally took maybe 3 – 5 minutes).
- Pour mixture into a 1″ to 2″ deep rectangle pan and allow to cool.
- The grits will solidify (now called polenta) and cut into 1 ½” cubes.
- Place cubes on a baking sheet and bake for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, saute onion in coconut oil until translucent.
- Add carrot, celery, mushrooms, rosemary and remaining poultry seasoning.
- Saute for 10 minutes.
- Add polenta cubes and toss.
- Pour mixture into a baking dish and pour vegetable stock over top.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
I was not impressed with this dish at all – probably won’t make it again. The polenta cubes really didn’t absorb any of the vegetable stock/flavor during baking and there was still quite a bit of liquid left over after baking.
If you make this dish, or make variations, please post a comment and let me know what you think or did differently!