Original recipe from eBook What to Feed That Effing Vegan
- 1 tbsp (+ a drizzle) olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- ½ cup gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Sweet ‘n’ Sour Sauce
- In a pan, saute onion and garlic on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, until soft and transparent.
- Place all ingredients (aside from sauce) in a food processor and combine, being sure to keep some texture.
- Dust hands with flour and roll mix into 1″ balls.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan and place balls in the pan.
- Crisp and brown on all sides on medium-low heat.
- Serve with sauce & toothpicks.
When rolling the balls, I almost had to dust my hands with a bit of flour for each ball just because the mix wanted to stick to my hands a bit – but no biggie, really.
As I was cooking the balls, they weren’t really getting hot in the middle. So I turned the heat down a bit but put a lid on the pan – that seemed to work! These are very tasty and the sauce has a little kick to it! Definitely going to be a regular for me!!!