I see some Christmas cookie baking in my future …
Original recipe from Two Vegan Sisters
- 1 cup Earth Balance, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- 2 tsp egg replacer
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- With electric mixer, beat Earth Balance until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in granulated and icing sugars and then beat in egg replacer, water and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually stir into buttery mixture.
- Transfer dough to work surface.
- Kneed lightly until it forms a ball.
- Divide dough in half.
- Shape each into disc.
- Wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or for up to 2 days.
- One disc at a time, gently knead with hands to make more manageable.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to ¼” thickness.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out shapes and place them on parchment paper lined baking sheets.
- Bake in centre of preheated 375 F oven for 10 – 12 minutes or until light golden on bottom and edges.
- Let cool for 3 minutes on baking sheets.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Ice as desired.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.
Now, I feel that these shortbread cookies don’t quite ‘melt-in-your-mouth’ like a regular shortbread cookie would. I clearly haven’t iced them but I think I will add some decorating to them to spruce them up a little.
I picked up some Cake Mate icing and absolutely made the cookie eat-worthy!!! Now … to leave the rest un-iced so that I don’t eat them all!!!