Original recipe from http://ashleyoswaldrd.wordpress.com
- 3 packages (16 ounces each) extra firm tofu
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup Annie’s shiitake sesame (or any other Asian dressing of choice)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp ginger
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp sage
- 2 splashes lime juice
- 2 splashes hot sauce
- Cayenne pepper and black pepper to taste
- For full salad: favorite vegetables, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and fresh lemon juice (or any other dressings of choice)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Wrap tofu in a towel, set a heavy pan on top and anything heavy for weight on top of that.
- Let sit for ~1 hour.
- Cut each tofu block into 5 rectangles (total of 15 rectangles).
- In a large skillet, on medium-high heat, sauté tofu until light brown.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- In a large enough baking dish, pour ~½ cup of the sauce on the bottom.
- Place tofu on top and pour the rest of the sauce over the tofu.
- Cover and refrigerate for ~12 hours (flip the tofu once if it is not completely covered).
- Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil.
- Place tofu on top and drizzle remaining sauce on top.
- Bake for ~23 minutes, flip and bake for another ~23 minutes.
- Cut into squares or triangles, place on top a bed of your favourite vegetables, drizzle with balsamic vinegar, olive oil and fresh lemon juice (or any other dressing of choice).
This recipe appears to make a LOT of tofu … I might third it when I eventually make it!