Original recipe from http://quicheaweek.wordpress.com
- 1 ⅔ cups pine nuts
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp lemon juice, fresh
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 5 – 6 tbsp water
- Soak the pine nuts, with enough water to cover 1″ higher than the pine nuts, for about an hour.
- Drain the pine nuts and place them in a food processor with lemon juice, yeast and salt.
- Combine until mixed well.
- Slowly add the water (as much as needed) until you get a fluffy ricotta-like consistency.
Side note: when I last made my pesto sauce I noticed I was out of pine nuts so I substituted slivered almonds instead and it turned out fantastic! I’m not certain, having not tried this recipe yet, if the same substitution would be viable or not.