Original recipe from http://www.ehow.com
Since becoming a vegan at the beginning of 2013, one dish I have missed INTENSELY is my Mom’s Eggs Benedict. We usually have this Christmas morning … or really any morning that I have stayed the previous night because that is not that often since I live a mere 15 minute walk away!
The original recipe served 4 and as such, I have reduced it to serve 2.
- ½ lb extra firm tofu
- ⅛ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅛ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp butter (Earth Balance)
- 4 oz Better Than Sour Cream sour cream (Tofutti)
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ pinch cayenne
- ½ tbsp lemon juice, fresh
- 2 English muffins, vegan of course, toasted
- 4 slices faux Canadian bacon (Yves)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and lightly grease a baking dish.
- Drain and rinse the tofu, slice into 4 pieces and arrange in a single layer in the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar and salt then pour over the tofu.
- Bake the tofu for 20 minutes, flipping it over after 10 minutes.
- When the 20 minutes has come and gone, drain any excess liquid and bake a few minutes longer until golden and crispy.
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Add the sour cream, spices and lemon juice.
- Heat this thoroughly but do not let it boil.
- Top each English muffin slice with a piece of Canadian bacon, piece of tofu and helping of Hollandaise sauce.
UPDATE AFTER MAKING: this turned out AMAZING!!! I made only 1 serving instead of the 2 I have in the recipe, so I again just halved it. However, after the “Hollandaise” was done, I thought it was a bit not lemony enough, so I added the (½ amount) lemon juice again; so in theory, I actually did not half the lemon juice portion! I paired it with ½ a banana and ½ an apple and now I’m very full! Not overly stuffed, but definitely full!
Also, I might make the tofu round next time, just so that it looks more “real” LOL!