In July 2013, my good friend and coworker introduced me to authentic Indian cuisine … and I haven’t looked back since! There is one restaurant in town that we could eat at multiple times a week – if funds allowed!
The first dish I had from Lachi Indian Cuisine in Penticton, BC was Dal Makhani. Later I found out they make is using whipping cream – so it’s not a dish I can order again … but I was able to find a recipe and make it vegan-friendly:
- 1 cup black urad
- ¼ – ½ cup kidney beans, dry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 heaping tsp garam masala
- ½ cup Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream sour cream
- Soak urad & kidney beans over night.
- Cook in a rice cooker until tender with a little salt.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add onions – sauté until translucent.
- Add sugar – sauté until onions start to brown.
- Add ginger & garlic – saute 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes (with juice) through garam masala – cook until it starts to thicken.
- Add urad & beans – bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.